If the topic of occupying campus space interests you, be sure to check out the Academia Insurgent panel being organized by Eli Meyerhoff (U Minnesota) and the countercartographies collective at UNC-Chapel Hill for the Annual Association of American Geographers Meeting Washington, DC, 14-18 April 2010.
Topics for the panel organized by Elizabeth Johnson and Eli Meyerhoff, Academia Insurgent: Occupying and Communizing Universities // Militant Research and Organizing:
* Strategies and tactics for university occupations
* Theorizing ‘occupation’ of academic spaces and times
* Militant research on universities
* Creating an “undercommons” that feeds us and feeds off of the university, enabling us to do radical work from *within* the institution without becoming *of* the institution
* Collectively preventing the alienating effects of leading such dual lives
* Valorizing our own work without submitting it to universities’ disciplinary metrics
* Maintaining our own invisibility (from capitalism/consumerism and from the university) while linking with one another and with common projects elsewhere
* Building “institutions of the common” across universities and across disciplines, as well as between academics, activists, artists, diverse economies, etc.
* Developing mutually supportive relationships for communities, movements, our teaching, and our activism without creating formal(izing) organizations
* Finding ways within the university’s walls to not only create “living communism” but also to “spread anarchy”
* Learning from university struggles around the world and across history
- Sympathy For Eichmann?
- What UC-Davis Pays for Top Talent
- Campus Occupations Reaching Critical Mass?
- To The People of The World: The Occupation Urges You To Assert Your Power
- Mass Arrests Swell Crowd on Wall Street
- Occupation Season Begins; Colbert, Aronowitz on Wall Street
- Police Violence Escalates, Day Five on Wall Street
- Wall Street Occupation, Day Three
- What Are You Doing for the Next Two Months?
- It’s the Inequality, Stupid